Christmas, Christmas time is here! How do I know this?...
It snowed over a foot in 24 hours here in Minneapolis. It was a beautiful snow storm! I love the snow and am so glad it decided to finally come for me. In celebration, I hung up some snow flakes and hope that they will help bring more snow :)
Another reason it is beginning to look like Christmas is because we are heading to Idaho and Utah tomorrow! Family time always = Christmas time!. I can't wait to see my family and friends. I have missed you all so much and know that it is going to be one of the best Christmases spent with you.
It is also Christmas time because I bought egg nog! And this past week I invented a new Christmas dessert that is absolutely delicious. Here it is:
Apple-Nog Cobbler
(I am not an expert at writing the measurements I use when I am experimenting because I don't actually measure. I just go off of consistency, look, and taste testing. So if something turns out wrong, sorry! I do think this is very close to the amounts of each ingredient I actually put in. Feel free to tweak it and enjoy!)
1 box white cake mix
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1/3 c whipping cream
1/2 c egg nog (plus extra if needed)
1 1/2 cubes butter
6-8 apples of choice peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 cup brown sugar (or until apples are covered, may be more or may be less)
1-2 T lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Place sliced apples evenly in the bottom of a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Evenly squeeze lemon juice over apples. Sprinkle brown sugar generously over the tops of the apples.
Cut the butter into the white cake mix, then cut the cinnamon and nutmeg into the mixture.
Beat the egg, whipping cream, and egg nog with a whisk until mixed together. Poor this wet mixture over the dry mixture and mix until combined. You want the consistency of the batter to be thicker than a traditional cake batter, but not as thick as pumpkin cookies (I hope that makes sense). I had to add a little more egg nog to get the consistency I wanted so just add small amounts until you get it right. Poor batter over apples and spread top evenly.
Bake for about an hour (until center of cake is no longer jiggly and toothpick comes out clean). The top will get very brown, but I promise it is not burning. I guess it threw me off because I have never really made anything like this before, and I thought the top was going to burn while the inside stayed raw. But the cake came out very moist and it was delicious!
Well, I can't wait to see your smiling faces in the coming weeks! And I can't wait to meet my new niece and nephew! See you all soon and have a Merry Christmas!




No comments:
Post a Comment