Saturday, August 6, 2011

Bountiful Baskets

This week I decided to finally get a bountiful basket. I have known about this program for over a year now and have just not done it. For those of you who do not know what bountiful baskets is, it is a volunteer program that allows people to buy good, cheap produce. It is $15 per basket and this is what you get in each one...

half fruits...

and half vegetables.
To get this much produce at the store, I would probably spend $50-$60. We have been looking for ways to cut down on food bills and I think this will help a lot! I am not willing to give up my fruits and vegetables! Other ways to cut down are to not buy red meats unless necessary. I just buy the bag of frozen chicken breasts that is $6. Also, don't make random shopping trips for just a few items, you end up spending more. On deli meats, I always look for the fresh cut meats that are on sale. The on sale items at Winco are usually about $3 per pound and much more tasty, and cheaper than the packaged meat on the aisles. I have been trying to get into couponing, but I am having a hard time getting motivated. I know that the way to go is through grocery smarts, but when it is just for 2 people it is hard to want to buy the items that go on sale and you buy a ton of. (ex: when cereal goes on sale, to get the best deal you have to buy like 10 boxes. We don't eat enough cereal for it to be worth it.) I just need to be patient and find which way to coupon works best for Pedro and I.

Anyway, I am excited about all of my produce. I haven't had any yet because I just got it this morning, Hopefully it is tasty and worth it for us so that we can continue to save.

No comments:

Post a Comment