A couple of weeks before we left Tracy, Pedro and I got to go on a boat ride around SF Bay. One of the executives for Sutter invited all the administrative interns and residents, and kindly invited me too, to enjoy a day on his lovely boat. He provided lunch, drinks, a beautiful view, and great company. We happened to set out on our journey right as the America's Cup was starting and got to watch the boats sail through the bay racing for the title. It was really great and fun to have a front row seat.
We cruised around Angel Island, went straight up to AT&T Park, went under the Golden Gate, and saw a bunch of dolphins playing around. It was so nice and relaxing to be on the water and feel the wind in my hair. I could definitely go cruising the bay every day!
While Pedro was busy working, I had the wonderful opportunity to volunteer at the Sutter Tracy Community Hospital Birthing Center. I helped answer phones and direct patients, but the manager there was kind enough to let me shadow the nurses. I got to see a total of 31 births in my 2 months there. It was amazing to be a part of those beautiful miracles each day. I learned so much and am positive that I want to go into labor and delivery for my career.
In my time as a student nurse, I didn't have the greatest experiences in women's health. I never ever wanted to go into women's health because almost all of the other girls in the program had an interest in women's health. I did not want to follow the group and not having a great experience in clinicals kind of solidified that decision for me. Now having worked with the most amazing team of nurses and management, I am dreaming of a time where I will be the nurse comforting the laboring woman.
One of the nurses I worked with stated to me one day that if you are not religious before working in labor and delivery, you certainly will become religious once you start in labor and delivery. I really think this is true. From a religious view and my belief in eternal life, I felt the spirit of God so strongly each time I was in that unit. The new spirits being born brought such a joy and a great comfort in knowing that God really is not that far away from us.
During this great volunteer experience, I truly grew as a person. I became close to the nurses, and to the nurse manager. I really miss them and I hope to see them again one day. They truly helped boost my confidence as a nurse and helped me to feel like a competent person. In my public health experience, there has not been much room for growth and expansion of my skill set. I felt worthless as a nurse, but I knew that I needed a job and this is the only one I could get to interview me. Now being back at that same job I feel more confident in my ability to jump back into skilled nursing care when I have the opportunity. Thank you Joanne and all you lovely nurses for making me feel like a million bucks :)
Our last adventure of the summer has been my favorite by far. Pedro and I are thrilled to announce that we are expecting a baby on April 6, 2014. We could not be more excited! I can't believe the time has finally come for us to be parents. God has truly blessed us and knows the timing of our lives. I feel as if this pregnancy was panned by God down to the very second. You know the feeling of content you get when you know you are in the right place at the right time? Well I have been getting that feeling every day since I saw that second blue line on the pregnancy test.
I am already beginning to feel like a mother. I have a long ways to go, but I know that I am learning, and that I have so many wonderful examples of great mothers in my life to guide me along on this new adventure. The greatest thing about this pregnancy so far has been the growth in love I feel for Pedro. I honestly thought I deeply loved Pedro before, but now I feel like I love him a million times more. He is going to be the greatest daddy and I know this baby will adore him like I do.
Last week I got to hear the baby's heart beat and it was like someone just turned the lights on. Before that it was me knowing there was a baby in there due to symptoms, but hearing some proof was just magical. Then today I got to see our baby on ultrasound. I squealed with excitement as that little bean came into view on the screen. The ultrasound tech probably thought I was crazy! I asked a million questions about the different parts of the baby and my uterus. I was so curious and intrigued by this little miracle squirming around inside of me. Baby bean kept moving around, but finally gave us a great picture to look at until we get to see him/her again for our gender ultrasound in a couple of months.
We can't wait to meet you little bean! Mommy and daddy love you!
![]() |
| Baby bean at 12.5 weeks gestation. |
.jpg)
.jpg)
wonderful!! this is absolutely so exciting for you two. can't wait to see this sweetie come april.
ReplyDeleteAs I read this post, I kept accidentally putting "she" in when you were talking about your baby. (and when I typed that, I almost said, "baby girl"). I really hope you have a girl because I know you'll spoil her and have fun mommy daughter memories! (But I'll still be excited for you if it's a boy.)
ReplyDeleteOh! Congratulations! You guys will so LOVE being parents! It's the greatest thing in the world!!! I'm so happy for you! Good luck with pregnancy!
ReplyDelete