Friday, April 20, 2012

Day 6 of 30 for 30

What is the hardest thing you have experienced?

The hardest thing I have ever experienced would have to be surviving my first year of marriage. That year was hard for several reasons. First of all, marriage is always a work in progress. I am a very stubborn person and it was difficult for me to adjust living with Pedro 24/7. We are both strong headed and have had to learn to give a little here and there. something else that made it difficult was me learning to control my emotions. I had a lot of ups and downs, but I have come so far since then. 

It was also difficult to make myself so vulnerable. In marriage you share everything with your spouse; your space, food, thoughts, feelings, projects, fears, knowledge, body, time, and so much more. I am not always the best at sharing and expressing myself so it was difficult, but once I let my reserves fall, I was able to love Pedro so much more. We have become so close because we are more willing to share ourselves completely with each other. 

During our first 8 or so months of marriage we lived with my grandma. I love that woman to death, but she has some serious anxiety. I already had my own stress from marriage and school that it was difficult for me to take her on. I wish I would have been able to handle it better because my grandma has so much knowledge to share and she is quite the comedian. I have learned a lot better since then how to channel and control my own stress better so that I can be there when other people need me. 

Finally, at this time I was also in nursing school which in itself was a huge challenge. Early mornings, long days, late nights, no time for food {and I am a grumpy monkey when I do not get enough sleep or food}. You catch my drift. Man did it break me down and wear me out {which is not the best state to be in as a newlywed},but like marriage it was so worth it.

All in all, yes that first year was a great challenge and a huge milestone for me, and I do not regret my decision to marry Pedro, go to nursing school, live with my grandma, and learn all of those precious lessons. Marriage is still difficult at times, but we have learned to mesh better and handle stress more appropriately. I love Pedro so much. He is my best friend and confidant. Without him, I would be crushed and stagnant, never evolving, never to become a better person. 

Year one

{Our wedding}
{Honeymoon in Hawaii}
{Brazil visiting family}
{At a Jazz game}
{nap time at Grandma's}
{fishing together}
{enjoying the fall colors of Utah}

We have now been happily married for 2 years, 4 months, one day, 8 hours, 11 minutes, and 50 seconds ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment