Today, I got some frozen yogurt...by myself, sat on a bench, and people watched as I ate...by myself. I don't really do stuff like that by myself because I see it as a fun social activity to do with friends and family. Well, just to let you know, it is okay to do things by yourself. :)
Over the past few weeks I have had to get used to not having friends around. In Minneapolis we are lucky to have all of our friends living on the same block as us. Needless to say, we hung out almost every night. Here in Cali I have not really gotten out and tried to meet anyone. We went to church here for the first time yesterday, because we finally had a weekend where we were not traveling, and I felt a little bummed. It is an older aged ward so not very many young couples, and definitely not any childless young couples. (not that I saw anyway.) In the time we were there we had only one person introduce themselves to us. We only went to 2 out of the 3 hours, but come on, only one person said hello! On our first day of church in Minneapolis I am pretty sure the entire ward came up to say hello to us.
Anyway, as I have been wallowing in my friendless state...{okay so I am not depressed, I have gotten to read, put together puzzles, paint, watch movies, and go to the library and park, and have Adri come over. I have kept myself busy, but keeping yourself busy alone, and keeping yourself busy with someone else are totally different}...I have come to the conclusion that it is okay to do things alone. I have also decided that it is time I get out in the public more and do things alone, because there is more chance that I will meet people.
Today, I went through my volunteer orientation at the hospital where Pedro is doing his residency. The people there are so nice and I think it will be a great opportunity to meet some people. Most of the volunteers are really old, but they are going to have me doing some volunteer activities that are more related to the patients and nursing staff, so younger people will be around. I think it is going to be a really great thing for me to do, and it will keep me busy with other people rather than being busy alone.
California has been really great. It is a wonderful area, Pedro is getting some great experience, Sutter treats us well, the weather is nice, and there are a lot of really fun places for weekend trips that are 2 hours or less away from us. I have enjoyed our time here, and am going to be more proactive with the time we have left.
No comments:
Post a Comment